Old Main Alumni Center
The restoration of a cherished campus building returns an 1895 brick landmark to original splendor, and transforms it into a vital, new home for the Alumni Association. The building was originally constructed in 1895 for Tempe Normal School, the first in Arizona to confer degrees for teaching. On the National Register of Historic Places, the building was the tallest in Arizona when constructed and the first in Tempe with electricity. The landmark has been the site of a century of historic and cultural events, including Teddy Roosevelt's dedication of the Roosevelt Dam from the building's north stair in 1911.